There was a lotta love for this when I posted on IG – so here’s the recipe for Pumpkin, Pea and Mint Risotto!
1/2 small Pumpkin chopped in to 1 inch cubes
1 x brown onion finely diced
2 large garlic cloves crushed
1 x stick celery finely diced
500 ml white wine (optional – could use stock only)
500 ml veg or chicken stock
Parmesan 50 g finely grated (optional)
Bl Pepper and Salt
50g butter (optional)
1 Tbl spoon (a big glug) Garlic Oil
1 Tbl spoon (a big glug) Olive Oil
Finely chopped mint leaves. About 10 leaves.
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 Cups Risotto Rice (check cooking time, normally about 25-35 mins)
1. Bake the chopped pumpkin, drizzled in garlic oil at 180 degrees for about 30 mins. I would put in the oven for 15 mins prior to starting to cook the risotto itself. This way the pumpkin will be cooked and ready to stir through later.
2. Prep the celery and onion and place in large saucepan with the olive oil and lightly soften.
3. Once soft add in a lg handful of risotto rice per person and gently toss with the celery and onion.
4. Once coated add in the crushed garlic and mix through.
5. Add your first big lug of wine – about a 250 ml glass
6. Keep stirring and then add more wine when the liquid starts to soak up. Check on the pumpkin and remove from oven when cooked.
7. Keep stirring and then once the wine has finished you can start adding the stock. Stir, Stir ……and well …..stir
8. About 5 Mins from the end of cooking time add in the pumpkin and then stir through some frozen peas and chopped mint. I do about a handful of peas – depends on your taste!
9. The key is to keep stirring and just keep adding liquid. you may need more or lass stock – really have to go with your instincts here! It takes about 25 minutes to cook risotto rice so you can start doing a a taste of the rice at this point and check if its cooked. You want a slight bite and you want there to be liquid so its oozy but not like a gravy and not too dry.
10. Once the risotto seems ready take off the heat and add in a large handful of grated parmesan and the butter. Place the lid on and leave for 5 mins.
11. Stir through before serving and top with a little. more parmesan S & P for taste.